Coffee

Coffee

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Why not tell the truth?

So the newly hired manager finally arrive this week. First impression was that he is a good man with a decent head on his shoulder. On the surface, we shared many common visions and style of management. That's expected especially when we are about the same age, and went to business school. Heck, we even share many personality traits such as being an introvert and doesn't has an abrasive interpersonal skill. I, honestly, don't anticipate too much of a problem working with him.

His appointment, under normal circumstances, will be a good one. However, these are not ordinary time. He was supposed to lead the group to new height. If he is so similar to me, and I am not good enough, how is he going to be successful? The only visible differences between us are height, I am taller, shape, he is rounder, and color, he is white. The answer was pretty clear to me. I was denied, not because of my ability, but my color of my skin. Technical skills, and institutional knowledge, has not bearing on this hiring.

This is not my birth country and I totally understand my role in this American society. But why hide between a curtain and be a hypocrite? Why don't just tell me that they preferred a white face leading a group? Racial discrimination is never going to go away. I think people just have to be up front about the issue and be truthful to themselves. It is a sad day for me. Never in my life have I foresee this coming my way.

Just as note, the person behind the appointment is black. She didn't do the right thing but instead she became just another racist. Getting the best qualified person with the right skills set for the job was never on the agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment